AUSTSWIM Teacher of Towards Competitive Strokes™ (TCS)
The course aims to provide candidates with the competencies to bridge the gap between the teaching and coaching of swimming.
Pre-requisites for candidates intending to teach in Australia and/or overseas - follow the four steps below.
Pre-requisites for candidates intending to teach overseas ONLY follow steps one and two (for further information visit our International teachers page).
Candidates are required to:
1. have an AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety Licence.
2. have a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
3. provide their valid Unique Student Identifier (USI) number at the time of enrolment in order that AUSTSWIM can verify this. A USI is a reference number required by the Commonwealth statutory office (Student Identifiers Act 2014) and is obtained from the USI Registrar.
For more information and to create a USI visit
4. provide a current Working With Children Check (WWCC). Although this is not expressly required before enrolling, it MUST be provided prior to commencing industry training (follow the link to find individual requirements for your State/Territory) Click here
This interactive course is delivered in a blended format.
It requires attendance at a face to face training session over a full day. It also requires the completion of an online interactive component. Candidates are also required to complete 10 hours of supervised industry training in a swim teaching environment with a range of teaching conditions.
The course consists of approximately 9 contact hours (theory and practical), plus 10 hours of practical observation hours. Topics include:
1. Towards competitive swimming
2. External influences and conditions
3. Instructional styles
4. Learning - making it work
5. Development of competitive stroke technique
To gain the accreditation, the following assessment components must be satisfactorily completed within 12 months of the course commencement date:
1. Practical assessment.
2. On-line theory assessment.
Complete the Teacher Declaration by agreeing to abide by the AUSTSWIM Code of Conduct
Complete a brief online course evaluation
Provide evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) statement of attainment. For further information on CPR requirements please click here.
Submit an endorsed photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence.
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Towards Competitive Strokes accreditation and as a result be issued the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Towards Competitive Strokes Licence.
Note: when you complete an AUSTSWIM extension course your AUSTSWIM licence will automatically be renewed for a further 3 years from the date when the extension licence is issued. If you complete your AUSTSWIM course after the initial 12 months (or your AUSTSWIM Licence has previously expired) your licence may be subject to backdating.