AUSTSWIM Teacher of Adults™ (AD)
The course provides candidates with the essential competencies to teach the adult swimmer.
Pre-requisites for candidates intending to teach in Australia and/or overseas - follow the three steps below.
Pre-requisites for candidates intending to teach overseas ONLY follow steps one and two (for further information visit our International teachers page click here).
Candidates are required to have:
1. AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety accreditation.
2. a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
3. a current Working With Children Check (WWCC). Although this is not expressly required before enrolling, it MUST be provided prior to commencing industry training (follow the link to find individual requirements for your State/Territory) Click here.
This interactive course is delivered in a blended format.
It requires attendance at a face to face training session over a full day. It also requires the completion of an online interactive component. Candidates are also required to complete supervised industry training in a swim teaching environment with a range of teaching conditions.
The course consists of approximately 8 contact hours (theory and practical), plus practical observation, supervised teaching hours and assessment. Topics include:
1. Why teach adults to swim
2. Understanding the nature of the adult swimmer
3. Health, medical and safety issues
4. Warm up, flexibility and stretching for the adult swimmer
5. The different types of adult swimmer.
To gain the accreditation, the following assessment components must be satisfactorily completed within 12 months of the course commencement date:
1. Practical assessment
2. Theoretical assessment.
Complete the Teacher Declaration by agreeing to abide by the AUSTSWIM Code of Conduct
Complete a brief online course evaluation
Provide evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) statement of attainment. For further information on CPR requirements please click here.
Submit an endorsed photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence.
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Adults accreditation and as a result be issued the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Adults Licence.
Note: when you complete an AUSTSWIM extension course your AUSTSWIM licence will automatically be renewed for a further 3 years from the date when the extension licence is issued. If you complete your AUSTSWIM course after the initial 12 months (or your AUSTSWIM Licence has previously expired) your licence may be subject to backdating.